Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Autumn Colours

We had a deluge last Wednesday. On Thursday there were some very pretty mushrooms poking up everywhere. I feel like Isabella's eyes are wide open for the first time; like she's waking up from that pre-memory phase of childhood. She sees all and with such enthusiasm. Everything outside is even more gorgeous to me now. At the moment the colours are at their peak. Fall is the best season. It must be the crisp air and the angle of the light that make anything feel possible.
I've been thinking it's time to teach Isabella how to use a camera. While Luke was at preschool she and I went to a nearby park for a first lesson. She told me she'd rather play hide-and-seek, but I could still take some pictures if I wanted.

What an anxious game to play outside with young children, no matter how scenic. I had to remind myself how unlikely it is that a predator would be on hand to harm her, and how important it is to me that she fall in love with the natural world, and how eventually I'll have to let her grow up. Luckily, I could still see her the whole time.

0 comments: